Virtual Interview Tips
Jim "Butch" Reiser '89, an experienced HR leader and interview and job search coach, provided these tips for acing a video job interview.
- Find a quiet, private, well-lit place, free from possible interruptions.
- Ensure your internet connection is stable.
- Check that your computer’s audio is working.
- Test your computer’s webcam.
- Make sure you are looking straight at the camera, not down.
- Close any unnecessary web browser tabs and applications.
- Dress professionally and avoid bright colors.
- What image do you want to portray behind you? Books, family photos...Make sure to consider what will be shown in the background.
- Have a pen, notepad and copy of your resume and the job description on your desk.
- When listening, nod and smile to show you are engaged.
- Use sticky notes on the side of your computer off-screen to serve as reminders of questions you may want to ask rather than looking down at notes.
- Use hand gestures when appropriate.
- Place your phone in silent mode.
- Be prepared: practice with a friend, family member, or coach prior to the interview.
About the Author
Jim "Butch" Reiser '89, a Delaware Valley University business alumnus, is an experienced HR leader and interview and job search coach. He prepares his clients to "ace" their next interviews and get to the next level! Learn more at AllProInterviews.com.