International Students

We welcome international students to come to our campus in pursuit of quality education with an experiential learning basis. Listed below are the policies and procedures for international student application.


Our close-knit community creates an environment where students feel at home.

Zuzanna Pankowska title key frame
International Student Information

All international students who are not U.S. citizens must submit the following documents in order to be considered for admission:

  • Delaware Valley University Common Application or DelVal International Student Application.
  • A personal statement or essay. 
  • Proof of English Proficiency - Required for all applicationts from a country where English is not the official language.
  • Students who take the TOEFL exam should arrange to have the scores sent directly to Delaware Valley University. The Delaware Valley University Standardized Test Code is 2510. Acceptable test results are as follows:
    • TOEFL internet-based test: 74 minimum
    • TOEFL paper-based test: 537 minimum
    • TOEFL computer-based test: 207 minimum
  • Other test scores that may be submitted
    • ITEP: 4.5 minimum
    • IELTS: 5.5 minimum
  • If you are not submitting TOEFL, IELTS, or ITEP test results, the SAT or ACT exam results are required. International students who have attended high school in the USA for at least 1 year must take the SAT or ACT examinations.
  • Official secondary school Academic Transcript.
    • Transcript should include a list of all subjects taken, grades for each course and an overall grade point average (GPA). All transcripts must be original. A translation into English is required. A Foreign Credential Equivalency Report or Credit Evaluation must be submitted with a copy of the original documents. The suggested agency: go to World Educational Services (WES).
    • The suggested agency is World Educational Services (WES) however, we will accept other evaluating agencies who are current members of The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services

  • Students must have earned the United States equivalent of a high school diploma and 2.5 overall grade point average or better based on the Foreign Credential Equivalency Report or a United States secondary school academic transcript.
  • Students with an overall grade point average below 2.5 will be reviewed on an individual basis assuming that the student satisfies the minimum English proficiency requirement.
  • Please submit at least 1 Letter of Recommendation.
  • Admission interviews and visits to the campus are not required but are certainly recommended if possible
  • ·Submit your application to Delaware Valley University.
  • A personal statement or essay should also be submitted.
  • Original copy of any college or university transcript. If your college or university transcript is from any country other than the USA, it will be necessary to submit a Foreign Credential Equivalency Report and Credit Evaluation. The suggested agency to use is the World Education Service (WES), however, we will accept other evaluating agencies who are current members of The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services

  • Official copies of your secondary school (high school) record with translation into English (if needed). This academic transcript should include subjects studied and a course-by-course rating on grade.
  • Results of one of the following tests must be submitted :
    • TOEFL
    • IELTS
    • ITEP
    • SAT or ACT
  • Application deadline: While we have no application deadlines, we suggest giving the application process at least 3-6 months based on your start term.

Once a student has received a letter of acceptance a deposit which indicates intent to enroll should be forward to the Office of Admission. The deposit amount is $400.00 (USD) for a student who plans to live on campus and $200.00 (USD) for a student who plans to live off campus with a sponsor. You can submit your deposit here. Additionally, for students who plan to live with a sponsor, please fill out the International Student Sponsorship Certification for Room and Board and email to Maria Cabrera.

Here are the next steps to start the I-20/ F1 Visa process:

1.  Please send me a copy of your passport bio page to

2.  Provide documentation on your ability to cover one year’s worth of tuition, fees, and various other living expenses that I have broken down below.

3.  Here are the estimated tuition, fees, room, board, and additional costs for one year of attendance at DelVal:

Deposit                                                                        $400*

Tuition                                                                         $39,500

Comprehensive Fees                                                     $2,770

First-Year Resident Hall                                               $6,470

Board – 7 Day Dining $50 Flex – Discount                  $7,250

Health insurance for the year                                       $2,231

Additional expenses (Books, etc.)                                 $2,000**

Total:                                                                           $60,221

*This deposit gets added to your account.

**This is an estimation of additional expenses for the year.

(Health insurance coverage for DVC students is mandatory if you do not currently have a health insurance plan that will cover you in the U.S. then you must purchase ours. If you have insurance then you can subtract this cost, but we will need you to provide proof of coverage.)

You will be receiving a merit scholarship every year at Delaware Valley University. This means that you will need to show evidence for covering the cost of attendance after the merit scholarship is applied.

4.   Please see the attached International Student Certification of Finances form. Please fill it out and describe how you will cover the remaining cost. You can include scholarships or grants you receive from other sources but will need to provide award letters showing you have access to the funds for your education. You may also include any personal or family funds that you will use so please provide any bank statements, pay stubs/salary evidence, loan agreements, etc… dated no later than 30 days before sending them.  If someone from outside your family is helping cover the costs consider them a “sponsor” and please have them provide any bank statements, pay stubs/salary evidence, loan agreements, etc… dated no later than 30 days before sending them and have them sign the International Student Certification of Finances form stating that they are a sponsor and you will have access to the funds to use for your education.

5. If you are living with a family or sponsor in the United States within 25 miles from the university, we need you to have them fill out the sponsorship form and notarize it.

6.  Please return all of the above requested documentation to

7.  Once your documentation is in, we have verified it we will generate you an I-20 (You will need to pay the $200 SEVIS fee) which I will then send to you via mail.

8.  Once you have received the I-20 you will need to review and sign and take it to the US embassy to apply to the F-1 student visa.

9. After you have gotten your visa please send us a copy of your signed I-20 and your visa.

10. Then you can schedule your flight. You will be receiving information from housing and also orientation as well, but keep in mind that you can only enter the country 30 days before the start of the semester term.


There are several steps to apply for a visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Please consult the instructions available on the embassy or consulate website where you intend to apply.

1. Complete the Online Visa Application

  • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 – You must: 1) complete the online visa application and 2) print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview.
  • Photo –You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. Your photo must be in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.

2. Schedule an interview

While interviews are generally not required for applicants of certain ages outlined below, consular officers have the discretion to require an interview of any applicant, regardless of age.

If you are age:

Then an interview is:

13 and younger

Generally not required


Required (some exceptions for renewals)

80 and older

Generally not required

You must schedule an appointment for your visa interview, generally, at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. You may schedule your interview at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but be aware that it may be difficult to qualify for a visa outside of your place of permanent residence.

Wait times for interview appointments vary by location, season, and visa category, so you should apply for your visa early.

New Students – F-1 and M-1 student visas can be issued up to 120 days in advance of your course of study start date. However, you will not be allowed to enter the United States in F-1 or M-1 status earlier than 30 days before your start date.

Continuing Students - May renew their visas at any time, as long as they have maintained student status and their SEVIS records are current. Continuing students may enter the United States at any time before their classes start.

3. Prepare for your interview

  • Fees - Pay the non-refundable visa application fee, if you are required to pay it before your interview. When your visa is approved, you may also pay a visa issuance fee, if applicable to your nationality. Application Fee: $160
  • Review the instructions available on the website of the embassy or consulate where you will apply to learn more about fee payment.

4. Gather required documentation

Gather and prepare the following required documents before your visa interview:

  • Passport valid for travel to the United States - Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person who needs a visa must submit a separate application.
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview
  • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students, Form I-20 or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students, Form I-20 – Your school will send you a SEVIS-generated Form I-20 once they have entered your information in the SEVIS database. You and your school official must sign the Form I-20. All students, their spouse and minor children if they intend to reside in the United States with the student, must be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS). Each person receives an individual Form I-20.
  • Additional documentation may be required: Review the instructions for how to apply for a visa on the website of the embassy or consulate where you will apply. Additional documents may be requested to establish that you are qualified. For example, additional requested documents may include evidence of:
  • Your academic preparation, such as:
  • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended; and
  • Standardized test scores required by your U.S. school;
  • Your intent to depart the United States upon completion of the course of study; and
  • How you will pay all educational, living and travel costs.

5. Attend your visa interview

During your visa interview, a consular officer will determine whether you are qualified to receive a visa, and if so, which visa category is appropriate based on your purpose of travel. You will need to establish that you meet the requirements under U.S. law to receive the category of visa for which you are applying.

Ink-free, digital fingerprint scans will be taken as part of your application process. They are usually taken during your interview, but this varies based on location.

After your visa interview, your application may require further administrative processing. You will be informed by the consular officer if further processing is necessary for your application.

When the visa is approved, you may pay a visa issuance fee if applicable to your nationality, and will be informed how your passport with visa will be returned to you. Review the visa processing time, to learn how soon your passport with visa will generally be ready for pick-up or delivery by the courier.

6. Entering the United States

A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (generally an airport) and request permission to enter the United States. A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the port-of-entry have authority to permit or deny admission to the United States. If you are allowed to enter the United States, the CBP official will provide an admission stamp or paper Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record. Learn about procedures for students (with F or M visas) entering the United States on the CBP website under Arrival Procedures for Students or Exchange Visitors. Learn about admissions and entry requirements, restrictions about bringing food, agricultural products, and other restricted/prohibited goods, and more by reviewing the CBP website.

Additional Information: Students with F-1 visas have an additional 60 days after the program end date listed on Form I-20, and any authorized practical training, to depart the United States.

Financial Aid

International students generally fall into 2 categories:

  • U.S citizens or permanent residents
  • Those who are citizens of another country and do not have permanent resident status

U.S.A Federal Financial Aid is not available to (non U.S.A. citizens) citizens of another country. Of course, U.S.A citizens or permanent residents are considered for Financial Aid as would any student living the U.S.A

Merit Scholarships

Delware Valley University offers merit scholarships to international students based on previous academic performance and the results of the SAT or ACT examination. International students who have attended High School in the USA for at least one year must take the SAT or ACT examination. A Merit Scholarship will be calculated based on GPA and SAT or ACT results. These awards are granted upon acceptance.

To find out if you qualify for a merit scholarship, please contact Maria Cabrera.

Click here for a detailed and up to date breakdown of total cost of attendance.

Can I get a full scholarship or financial aid?

  • Full scholarships are not available at Delaware Valley University
  • U.S. Federal Financial Aid is not available to non U.S. citizens
  • Merit Scholarships based on previous academic performance and standardized test scores are available to international students
Where are the nearest airports?
  • Philadelphia International Airport (45 miles)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (70 miles)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport, NY (95.2 miles)
  • LaGuardia Airport, NY (100 miles)
  • Harrisburg International Airport (110 miles)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (134 miles)
What is the institutional code for TOEFL or SAT/ACT ?
  • 2510
Can I get a job on campus?
  • Yes. International students can apply for campus employment and are permitted to work on campus
What is the application deadline?
  • While we have no application deadlines, we suggest giving the application process at least 3-6 months based on your start term.
What is the minimum TOEFL score?
  • 74

Application Deadlines

While we have no application deadlines, we suggest giving the application process at least 3-6 months based on your start term.


Questions? Contact Maria Cabrera, Senior Assistant Director of Admission