Learn the biology and chemistry behind managing dairy animals and making dairy products. Your coursework will be backed by hands-on experience with all major breeds in our on-campus dairy. A strong extracurricular program connects you with other DelVal students in your field.
Dairy Science is a field of study that focuses on the technology and science behind the production of milk and dairy products, such as butter, cheese, ice cream, yogurt and more. Your coursework at DelVal will allow you to explore topics such as dairy husbandry techniques, nutrition technology, milking, ice cream making, milk sampling for mastitis and antibiotics, and more. Our program offers a variety of interesting dairy science classes as well as a wide selection of animal science classes that are a great addition to the core curriculum.
At DelVal, our many opportunities for hands-on experience will enhance your understanding of classroom material.
- Our on-campus dairy will allow you to work with all major U.S. dairy breeds through classes, student employment, and student organizations and teams.
- Access internship and career exploration opportunities through our network of alumni, faculty, staff and employer connections.
- Participate in extracurricular activities such as Dairy Society, Dairy Challenge Team, and A-Day (a student-run annual fair that is held right on campus).
- Study abroad and explore food systems around the world. Our students have recently traveled to both the Netherlands and Belize for agriculture leadership and veterinary experiences.
Graduates of this program have many career paths open to them including veterinary medicine, dairy management, agribusiness, federal and state positions and more.
My DelVal accomplishments are varied and have prepared me to make a positive impact in my career aspirations.
Our diverse course offerings can prepare you for a variety of careers within dairy science.
- Introduction to Animal Science
- Biological Science
- General Chemistry
- Principles of Dairy Science
- Dairy Business Analysis
- Dairy Husbandry Techniques
- Dairy Systems and Management
- Spanish for Agriculture
- AI Techniques
- Animal Nutrition
- Physiology of Reproduction
- Lactation Physiology
The Experience360 Program gives you the opportunity to apply classroom lessons to real-world activities like internships, career exploration experiences, student research, study abroad, leadership development and more.
- Dairy farm management
- Veterinary medicine
- Agribusiness and production
- Sales and service
- Positions in the drug and feed industries
- State and federal civil services