Few careers enable you to have an impact that lasts a lifetime. A secondary education degree from DelVal is the key to following your passion for teaching and making a difference in young lives. You’ll gain knowledge through challenging coursework and solid classroom confidence through four years of intensive field experience.
The DelVal undergraduate secondary education degree balances education with an in-depth knowledge of the industry’s professional demands. You can earn secondary certification (7-12) in biology, chemistry, English, general science, mathematics, or social studies, as well as, PK–12 certification in agriculture.
Through the combination of intensive field experiences from year one, challenging coursework and site-based methods courses, this degree offers a broad range of opportunities for you to learn and grow into a professional ready to engage in the most rewarding career.
- Gain communication skills that come along with being a teacher, which will help you stand out in areas such as writing, training, mentoring and public speaking.
- Become an advocate for change in school systems, a corporate trainer, or a leader in the nonprofit sector.
- Through the immersive field training you’ll receive while obtaining this degree, you can see jobs like these firsthand and experience the inner workings behind each career opportunity you may be interested in pursuing.
From making floral arrangements to harvesting vegetables and even bottling cider, I have learned more about various aspects in horticulture that I hope to teach one day. All of the activities I have participated in have made me much more excited to become an agriculture educator and allow students to have these same opportunities.
Learn from experienced educators who teach a diverse variety of courses in our program!
- Educational Psychology
- Instructional Methods and Assessment
- Field Experience/Pre-Student Teaching
- Literacy in the Content Area Classroom
- ELL and the Multicultural Classroom
- Differentiated Instruction in the Inclusive Classroom
- Business Administration
- Food Systems
- Policy Studies
Agricultural educators are some of the most in-demand educators in the state and the country. Our agriculture education majors gain hands-on experience on and off campus and benefit from connecting with area programs.
Biology teachers are in high demand and our program prepares educators for this demanding field by connecting them with meaningful experiences in the best schools in the state.
Our chem ed majors engage in a rigorous on-campus program that is bolstered by field experience in nationally-recognized high school programs.
Students in this program experience a revised English curriculum with a solid foundation in pedagogy. A blend of English and American literature; writing and language offerings; cultural, historical, and genre coursework prepare students for careers in top schools.
Science teachers are in demand and this concentration provides future educators with a broad base of challenging coursework across all areas of our renowned science programs. General science teachers are the foundational element of quality districts across the state.
Math teachers are in demand and are making a difference in high schools as classroom teachers, tutors and specialists. Play a key role in preparing students for college and demanding post-secondary careers. Math teachers sit at the core of quality programs across the country and are in high demand in the tri-state area.
In collaboration with the liberal arts program, student scholars are able to specialize according to their interests while gaining the broad base of knowledge necessary to excel as secondary educators.
The Experience360 Program in secondary education gives you the opportunity to apply classroom lessons to real-world activities with internships, career exploration experiences, student research, study abroad, leadership development and more.
Education (Secondary Education) Career Opportunities
Earn your secondary certification (7-12) in:
- General science
- Social studies
Or, earn PK–12 certification in agriculture
Click here for Professional Licensure Disclosures for this program.
- Future Farmers of America (FFA) - Explore the wide variety of career options within agriculture in this student organization!
- Chemistry Club - The Chemistry Club is the student affiliate chapter of the American Chemical Society (ACS).
- Biology Club - Explore the latest frontiers of biological science as well as a variety of biology career paths!